There was a project getting started late last year called pulpjs that
was aiming at this problem. It's sort of a port of Prototype with the
following goals: no global namespace pollution, no extensions of
native prototypes, and everything is modular and non-dependent. Have a
look at their download builder for a hint of what I mean:
http://pulpjs.org/downloads/

Note that this is Prototype-like, but not a drop-in replacement.

Walter