Just sort of curious ... of all the convenience that prototype offers,
why is the only method you "need" is Element.update()?

Anyway, try this...

(function() {
  function _$(args) {
    this.elements = [];
    for (var i = 0, len = args.length; i < len; ++i) {
      if (typeof args[i] == 'string') {
        this.elements.push( document.getElementById(args[i]) );
  _$.prototype = {
    update: function() {
      this.elements[0].innerHTML = arguments[0];
      return this;
    }
  };
  window.$ = function() {
    return new _$(arguments);
  };
})();

And a fragment to drop into a body...

This is some content that starts in a &lt;p&gt;
This is some content that starts in a &lt;div&gt;
<script>
window.onload = function () {
  $('p_content').update('test');
  $('div_content').update('test');