I’d say point out the things you did here, without being negative or saying you
suck. Something like your vocals are off key and that they should consider
collaborating with vocalist. You can also explain that to your more experienced
ears it sounds over compressed and muddy or etc. No need to get into the
technical details you got into in your email as it sounds like he isn’t to a
experience level with productions  where that would mean much to him yet. The
thing is if they are doing this for fun and to keep themselves busy, then its
up to them if they work on getting better or not. If they wants to get to a
point where they wants to do this professionally however, then they’d need to
consider more experienced opinions at some point.