  From: Karen Lewellen
  To: ptaccess@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 9:10 PM
  Subject: Re: How would you all as full fledged professionals handle this?

  Hi Chris,
  You are an honorable friend being considerate of his feelings.
  I have a question.  who does this person admire professionally?  What
  singer  does he want to  become, who influences his work, if you understand
  me?
  I ask because you may be able to give direction, or frankness, without
  insulting  him as a person.  focus on his art, not  him, does that make
  sense?
  Will share more after you answer.
  Karen

  On Mon, 24 Jul 2017, Christopher-Mark Gilland wrote:

  > OK, so I have a friend who sent me a track he had recorded. Granted, he did
it in Reaper not PT, but that's kind of not exactly the point.

  > He wanted my opinion on his mix, etc.
  >
  > First off, the guy is almost 2 whole steps off key. I know, as I know very
well the song that he recorded. This isn't him using improvization. It's more
truely him being off the correct note or anything there close.

  > Secondly, his vocals clipped horribly. With no processing or anything, the
meters are showing him at positive 9.3DB.

  > On his reverb, he ran both the wet, and the dry mix at 100%, so he sounds
like he's in the grand cannyon. Plus, he's got major major headphone bleedover,
so bad, I almost can make out each note individually from the karaoke track he
used.

  > When he hits the higher notes, he's singing from his throat, I can tell, as
he's straining badly, and literally almost shouting.

  > On the compressor, he used a 8/1 with the attack as fast as the compressor
plug would let him, and the attack as slow as it would. Then, he set the
threshold at negative 14DB, which obviously means he's squashing the living
shit out of things! Worse is, he not only did this on his vocal, but he then
reduplicated it on the master fader as well. Aaa, my aching! ears!

  > Finally, he turned up all frequencies around 60HZ by about 5 DB.
  >
  > When I told him this needed a lot of work, being he wanted my honest
opinion, he says he cannot hear the things I'm talking about nor how it
negatively effected the mix.

  > This guy's been through a lot of emotional psychological trauma, which
so've I, so I know how it feels. I don't wanna tell him this sounds like utter
F***ing shit, but, that said, this is about the 5th song he's sent me like
this. I just don't think he's cut out for a vocalist let alone a producer. OK,
who 'em I to judge! I know, I know, I'm not the greatest myself, but at least I
listen and try taking advice when people give it, hince why I've improved as
much over the years as I have. This guy simply won't take any advice I nor
anyone else give him. He didn't pay me to listen, he just asked me as a friend
to tell him. He's not expecting me to do this as him being a client.

  > So, client or not, what's the best way with love, mind you, to more
politely say, Jane Doe? You absolutely suck!

  > Surely some of you all have had vocalists or musicians who you listenned
to, who you had to turn down the job from as they just weren't seen as fit for
it. They just didn't have what it would take.

  > How do you let those guys off easy, without being a nasty Simon Cowell the
second? My christian morrals won't let me lie, but if I say what I really
think, it's gonna break his heart! I can't do that to such a dear friend! I
just can't! What do I do!