I'm in almost the same exact situation as you Greg...I have a meeting tomorrow
with my medical supplier to help with trying to get a new chair...mine is over
7 years old and losing power just like yours...i used to get about 8 miles also
when I had the jell type batteries my chair originally came with  but they will
only replace mine with the acid type when the original ones wear out, they said
due to cost and etc.  I hope I can get a new chair with the jell batteries and
keep this for a back-up....because my old back up chair is shot.  Dan H**