On 01/19/18 21:32, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

Hi all,

I'm building what hopefully will be R4.0-rc4 and I have two
reflections:

1. After upgrading templates to fedora-26 and debian-9, there is no way
the installation image will fit on DVD. Right now it takes 4908384256
bytes. We probably could try to cut it down by eliminating even more
packages from templates, but I think there is no much non-essential
packages left there. For example we no longer ship vim in debian-9.
Right now I see two options:
  - abandon the goal of fitting the image on DVD (I'd go for this)

+1

Other people in the thread disagree and still use regular DVDs - which as a readonly media is great for security - but how may people from Qubes' user base still have and use an optical reader ? I haven't seen any recent laptop (like in the past 3-4 years) with a CD/DVD reader and nowadays desktop workstations usually don't include one either.

If I wanted to use a DVD I'd probably have to buy a usb optical reader/writer, which kind of defeats the purpose of the readonly media. And if I was to buy such reader anyway I wouldn't mind using dual layer DVDs.

IMHO, trying to trim as much space as possible from the templates takes time that could be better spent and it's only delaying your decision: at some point it won't be feasible to fit everything in a DVD - except if the "new way" as suggested elsewhere in the thread is to include a minimal template in the default install whose only purpose is to allow users to download templates of their choice.

  - exclude some template from default installation...

2. grub suck at booting xen.efi (or rather: xen.efi is rather picky
about its environment). On many systems, booting xen.efi without grub
(using rEFInd, EFI shell, or simply by renaming it over BOOTX64.efi)
helps with boot problems. An idea: do not use grub on UEFI installation.
Downside: you loose boot menu - no way to choose or not media
verification, or rescue mode. And no way to adjust boot arguments,
needed on some platforms to workaround UEFI bugs... To do that, you'd
need to edit EFI/BOOT/xen.cfg using some other means.
Alternative: keep grub there, but provide an instruction how to boot
xen.efi directly, in short:
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt # assuming /dev/sdb1 is installation USB
     mv /mnt/EFI/BOOT/xen.efi /mnt/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi
     mv /mnt/EFI/BOOT/xen.cfg /mnt/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.cfg
     umount /mnt

After such operation, media verification would fail, obviously.

Any input on the above?

- -- Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab