Marek Marczykowski-Górecki:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm building what hopefully will be R4.0-rc4 and I have two
> reflections:
>
> 1. After upgrading templates to fedora-26 and debian-9, there is no way
> the installation image will fit on DVD. Right now it takes 4908384256
> bytes. We probably could try to cut it down by eliminating even more
> packages from templates, but I think there is no much non-essential
> packages left there. For example we no longer ship vim in debian-9.
> Right now I see two options:
>  - abandon the goal of fitting the image on DVD (I'd go for this)
>  - exclude some template from default installation...

OTOH in nearly all cases a user needs to install stuff from the net
anyway. So downloading an additional template doesn't really hurt. And
for example when restoring from a backup no additional templates are
needed at all.

> 2. grub suck at booting xen.efi (or rather: xen.efi is rather picky
> about its environment).

It seems in Xen 4.9 they added multiboot2 support and the commit
messages claims that this works with grub2 and EFI [1] (And according
to [2] that's the proper fix). But the commits don't look easy to
backport ...

> On many systems, booting xen.efi without grub
> (using rEFInd, EFI shell, or simply by renaming it over BOOTX64.efi)
> helps with boot problems. An idea: do not use grub on UEFI installation.
> Downside: you loose boot menu - no way to choose or not media
> verification, or rescue mode. And no way to adjust boot arguments,
> needed on some platforms to workaround UEFI bugs...

I think that's quite an important feature. So if this doesn't affect that
many systems I would keep grub.

> To do that, you'd need to edit EFI/BOOT/xen.cfg using some other
> means.
> Alternative: keep grub there, but provide an instruction how to boot
> xen.efi directly, in short:
>
>     mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt # assuming /dev/sdb1 is installation USB
>     mv /mnt/EFI/BOOT/xen.efi /mnt/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi
>     mv /mnt/EFI/BOOT/xen.cfg /mnt/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.cfg
>     umount /mnt
>
> After such operation, media verification would fail, obviously.

[1]:
https://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=commitdiff;h=9180f53655245328f06c5051d3298376cb5771b1
[2]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xen/+bug/1520979/comments/4