On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 13:41:30 UTC+11, Loren Rogers  wrote:
> On 11/21/2016 06:24 PM, Drew White wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 06:04:43 UTC+11, Loren Rogers  wrote:
> >> On 11/21/2016 11:04 AM, Loren Rogers wrote:
> >>> On 11/21/2016 12:42 AM, Drew White wrote:
> >>>> On Sunday, 20 November 2016 04:56:03 UTC+11, Loren Rogers  wrote:
> >>>>> Another correlation I've noticed is that my machine randomly shuts
> >>>>> itself down without warning when I'm browsing in the Anon-Whonix VM. It
> >>>>> seems that simply having the Whonix browser open causes the problem.
> >>>>> I've not been able to pin down an exact cause, but it seems to happen
> >>>>> after about 5-20min. When this happens, the machine sometimes ends
> >>>>> up in
> >>>>> a hung state (black screen) at the end of the shutdown process.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> I've also noticed that the fan speeds up right at it starts to
> >>>>> shutdown.
> >>>>> (The screen turns to the Qubes logo with the progress bar, then the fan
> >>>>> cranks up.) Sometimes the bar makes it all the way to the end, other
> >>>>> times it seems to simply crash to a hault. As I mentioned elsewhere,
> >>>>> the
> >>>>> Thinkpad X201t is known to have overheating issues, but I'm not sure if
> >>>>> this is related. I'm not working the machine particularly hard (just
> >>>>> browsing articles on the web), and the hardware is not particularly hot
> >>>>> to the touch.
> >>>> When it gets to the qubes logo screen, press ESC to see what it's
> >>>> actually doing.
> >>>>
> >>>> If you wish to always know what it's doing, turn off rhgb and quiet
> >>>> in the boot config.
> >>>>
> >>>> Then you will see where the issue is.
> >>> Thanks, I'll give that a shot next time it happens. I feel like it'll
> >>> go by too quickly for me to see what's happening; does it also write
> >>> its activity to a log somewhere?
> >> I can now confirm that it's an over heating issue. When it went into the
> >> automatic shutdown sequence, I pressed escape and managed to take note
> >> of a few of the messages. One of the very first ones was something about
> >> "thermal_zone_0 critical temperature reached: 128C", which I assume is
> >> the cause. (This isn't an exact quote, since I noted it from memory.)
> >>
> >> This raises some questions:
> >> - What could be causing this overheating issue in Whonix?
> >> - Is 128C a normal temperature for the safety shutdown to kick in?
> >> - Does Qubes have a warning / alert system for potential overheat? (Like
> >> low battery)
> > It is a high temperature, but does it ONLY happen in Whonix?
> > Or if you push the PC does it happen also?
> > Have you tried limiting the threads Whonix can use?
> >
> > Sometimes CPUs have shutdown at 99 degrees.
> > So 128 degrees is a bit high in my own opinion.
> >
> > I recommend you check the CPU Fan and heatsinks (if it has them).
> 
> Thanks for the input - I just dusted out the fan, and we'll see if it 
> helps. It wasn't too bad, but we'll see if there's an improvement.
> 
> No, it also randomly goes into auto-shutdown when backing up VMs. 
> However, that happens about 20% of the time. Whonix seems to do it about 
> 80% of the time, the other 20% I figure I shut it down before it does so 
> on its own. I figure there may be something in the Whonix VM that's 
> causing my processor to over work itself. The auto-shutdowns may be 
> ultimately linked to dust in the fan or something like that, but if 
> there's something processor intensive in Whonix, it may be worth looking 
> into.
> 
> Also, a heat warning message would be nice. I assume the thresholds are 
> set via the bios - is there a standard way of monitoring this? (I'm not 
> particularly well versed in this sort of thing.)



I recommend you get your HDD checked, and your RAM.

Test both thoroughly.
Could be some bad sectors.
Also run a smartd check.

Some PCs have system diagnostics built in for RAM in the startup sequence.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/46ae5b6e-79bd-4e09-a7f8-0bbf6478659e%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to