Youve got to set up your user names in the template. So fire up httpd in your
template and use the occ commands to add users. Its inconvienent, but the appvm
non persistance is the secuity feature that is also preventing anyone from
embedding anything too nasty in your system.

I have tried to find where specifically user data is stored if you really
wanted to allow users to add themselves while the server runs and between
reboots, but I recall not finding out much. This has been asked about on the NC
forums as well.

Youve also got to set up the storage area to be persistant between boots. This
is easier to make non persistant. Follow the NC hardening guide to move the
folder somewhere else, and then use qubes-bind-dirs to make that folder
persistant. You would need to do the move in the template, but set up the
bind-dirs in the app.