Back in 1983-1985, thumb shifters were right on top of the handlebar.  The
very first Shimano Indexed thumbshifters (6-speed SIS), were out in front
by a bit.  Just about everybody at that time thought that was better.  I
sure thought it was better.  I do not recall ever wishing somebody moved
the shifter back to being on top of the bars.  Offset somewhat always made
more sense to me.  Now I admit that I haven't bothered to re-ask that
question in the last decade or so, but now that I do re-ask the question, I
can't think of anything that would be achieved by switching back to on top
of the bar.  Looking at my hand and where my thumb is, I can't think of
anything good that would come out of making the change backwards
(physically and temporally).  That's what I'm thinking, Garth.  What are
you thinking?  :)

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA