Alan Lavine,

I hadn 't been eating carbs, at least not very often, since I read Grant's
book.

I am a bit over 5 11, and lost some weight when I first ditched the carbs,
but was still running at about 180. Not awful, but fatter than I probably
should be.

I only learned about the fasting thing in January. Now I'm down to 167.

If you already don't eat carbs, it is no big deal to move to fasting. The
only obstacles are mental. Up until two months ago, I thought that being
hungry was a physiological need. That is, I thought that if I didn't eat
for a day, I'd keel over or something. But that doesn't happen. Hunger is
psychological. If you just wait a few minutes or do something else, your
hunger will go away.

Besides the notable weight-loss, there are other health benefits which I
believe to exist, but which I am not sophisticated enough to type about
intelligently There's a 1-hour program on Amazon Prime called "The Science
of Fasting" that discusses them. The key term is autophagy. It appears that
fasting might fight cancer.

Jason Fung, the author of the book I referenced above is a kidney doctor in
Toronto, who is using fasting to cure type-2 diabetes.

It's funny - fasting is the opposite of much I'd ever heard about dieting -
for example, eat 5 or 6 small meals a day. Ever heard that one? I think
fasting is unpopular because there is no one to lobby for it. The food
industry would oppose it. So would the pharmaceutical industry. Even most
doctors wouldn't recommend it - imagine the advice, "Don't come and see me,
don't take any drugs.  Just stop eating for a day or two every week. You'll
feel better." That's not a money maker for anybody.

I'd say fasting may be a good thing once or twice a week, even if you have
no weight to lose. It's just good to rest your disgestive system and other
systems will kick in. Also, never eating carbs is kind of a bummer. But if
you're a faster, on your feast days, have some cake and ice cream!

Also, fasting does lead to mental clarity - "hungry like the wolf."

Re the cholesterol, I'm not even sure if high cholesterol, even the LDL
kind, is even a health problem. This is yet another contentious health
issue. But I'm sure fasting can't hurt. I think in the Jason Fung book
references this issue.

Final point: If you mention fasting in public, it is highly polarizing. You
might as well say you voted for Trump. So I'd say keep it to yourself if
you try it.