Everything new isn't better (like PF30 BBs), but plenty of old things, even
good old things are not as good as some of the newer things.
The things that work will stick around and the things that can be improved on
will fade away.
Yes, rim brakes can be just as effective, (sometimes more so) than disc brakes,
but I favor disc.
I fitted some Pauls Mini Moto's to my Atlantis & honestly they grip so hard I
am afraid to ride the thing lest I land on my head!

Grant does come around to things it just takes time. Hilly bikes are not
something he would have done 25 years ago, but here we are! Unfortunately,
sometimes destiny forces his hand, like when Rivendells lug maker decided to
shut down.
I do think it's highly unlikely he'll embrace thru axles & disc brakes in my
lifetime though.