On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 10:38 -0700, Thomas Lynn Skean wrote:
> Is it reasonable to think that a *well-built* freewheel
> mechanism would outlast at least some of the cogs? Those bearings
> don't really "bear" a lot. And who knows... even the spacers may be
> useful.

Certainly.  Back in the Good Old Days, there used to be the Cog Board,
with individual sprockets.  Only the middle ones ever wore out, so
instead of replacing an entire freewheel you replaced the worn out
sprockets, re-using the freewheel body and the largest and smallest
sprockets.  It worked then, why wouldn't it work now?  Only reason I can
think of is the lack of availability of replacement sprockets.