I had been in a gnarly bicycle accident on my old trek road bike in 2008. I
was a victim of a hit and run in san francisco and i shattered my left leg.
All of this put me in the hospital for six weeks and over a year of rehab
and walking aids and surgeries after that. So far I've had seven surgeries,
skin graft, bone graft, three fasciotomies from recurring compartment
syndrome, etc etc etc. Anyway, I was eager to get back on a bicycle after
this. I looked on CL, and I found an aluminum cannondale caad3. I thought
this was right. I built her up with straps and I used to bungee my foldable
cane to the handlebars so I could walk after riding. The cannondale had
just never been comfortable enough after my injury though, and I was
looking for something else. I considered a hybrid, mtb, touring frames,
etc. I know I had quite a bit of bike karma out there for me, and one day
there she was on CL - a 53cm atlantis, set up as an xtracycle no less, for
$1000. I immediately called, said, don't sell her, I want it. I went there
later that day, bought it for $900 (from the nice folks at xtracycle!). The
rest is history. I haven't had ANY pain riding bikes since then, even with
a mildly gimpy leg.
--eli