Adger Williams wrote:

Aren't conventional collective titles really Form/Genre headings? (Poems. Selections, vs. Essays Selections, vs. Works Selections)

Would they not serve their function less confusingly if we treated them that way?

Quite. They could be seen as attributes of the work and recorded in RDA elements 7.2 and 7.3 - in addition to the "ordinary" title of the work for the compilation/collection (RDA element 6.2).

If this was consistently applied, it would give us the possibility to find
A) all editions of a certain compilation/collection (making use of the title of the work) B) all compilations/collections of a certain type (making use of the attributes of the work)

And everybody would be happy :-)

Heidrun

FWIW, my institution has been removed CCTs from LC records ever since the abandonment of the AACR2 rule about "distinctive titles". Very seldom does it require more than a moment's thought.