Am Thu, 25 Jun 2009 03:54:23 -0400 schrieb Chris McDonough:

> On 6/25/09 3:38 AM, Chris Withers wrote:
>> Shane Hathaway wrote:
>>> I'm not very familiar with pip, but I don't think that's an issue for
>>> Buildout.  Buildout also has the ability to pin the version of all
>>> packages, but I don't think that's what Jens and I want in this case.
>>
>> yep, the only thing buildout is missing is a command to dump the
>> versions.cfg based on what's in the current buildout...
>>
>>> We want an authority to provide a regularly updated list of Repoze
>>> package versions known to probably work together.  Thankfully, the BFG
>>> index is serving that purpose, except that it's not easy to combine
>>> that list with the rest of PyPI.  I think the problem would be solved
>>> if that index took the form of a versions.cfg (auto-generated would be
>>> fine).
>>
>> Yep, I wonder if Chris could be tickled to put your auto-generator up
>> somewhere on dist.repoze.org?
>
> I think it's a good idea.
>
> It's also an eminently doable-by-someone-else job (wget + the script).
> I don't really use version.cfg files, so I'd be an unlikely candidate to
> keep it running properly.  I'd forget about its existence and it would
> just stop working.
>
> OTOH, if someone else wanted to keep an index mirror up and generate a
> versions.cfg, and wget-against-the-index wasn't sufficient for some
> reason, I'd do the necessary sysadmin stuff to get them rsync access to
> the files (or really whatever was necessary).

What about just publishing everything additional at pypi? I can provide a
version.txt file at my servers for each release using Shanes script. This
would be enough. Also then every pypi mirror could be used, no additional
infrastructure needed.

best regards
--
Jens W. Klein - Klein & Partner KEG - BlueDynamics Alliance