Am Wed, 24 Jun 2009 09:59:14 -0400 schrieb Tres Seaver:
[..]
>> Missing is a version fixation like done in ZTK, Grok, Plone, ... I'd
>> really like to see such a version.cfg for each repoze release. Creation
>> could be automated.
>
> You shouldn't need to pin the versions if you would use the index as an
>
>    index = http://dist.repoze.org/bfg/1.0/simple
>
> That index is a "known good set" for the 1.0 release line of BFG.

If one uses only stuff from the given index it works. Now, using stuff
from pypi like repoze.what make live difficult using an own index server.

So, this does _not_ work (repoze.what is on pypi):
[buildout]
# broken
parts = instance
index = http://dist.repoze.org/bfg/1.0/simple

[instance]
recipe = repoze.recipe.egg:scripts
eggs = repoze.bfg repoze.what

This one is broken too, repoze.what has an dependency on repoze.bfg!
[buildout]
# broken
parts = instance
eggs = repoze.what

[instance]
recipe = repoze.recipe.egg:scripts
index = http://dist.repoze.org/bfg/1.0/simple
eggs = repoze.bfg ${buildout:eggs}

But this works, even if it warns:
"Couldn't find index page for repoze.what" (whie processing instance)
[buildout]
# works
parts = instance

[pypi]
recipe = repoze.recipe.egg
eggs = repoze.what

[instance]
recipe = repoze.recipe.egg:scripts
index = http://dist.repoze.org/bfg/1.0/simple
eggs =
    ${pypi:eggs}
    repoze.bfg

After all, having it all in an own index makes things much more difficult
than putting it all at pypi and having a version.cfg available.

I'd really love to see an approach like:

[buildout]
# future?
parts = instance
extends = http://dist.repoze.org/bfg/1.0/versions.cfg
find-links = http://dist.repoze.org/bfg/1.0
versions = versions

[instance]
recipe = repoze.recipe.egg:scripts
eggs = repoze.bfg repoze.what
Latter method is widely used good practice. Since we already have "find-
links" this way available the only missing piece is the versions.cfg
which need to be created for each release.

best regards
--
Jens W. Klein - Klein & Partner KEG - BlueDynamics Alliance