Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Wichert Akkerman <wich...@wiggy.net> wrote:
>> There is something to consider: I suspect more things are started to
>> require the new publisher events from Zope2, either directly or via one
>> of the backport packages for Zope 2.10. I'm not sure if repoze.zope2
>> supports those.
>
> A "fork" clearly comes with a cost here. I think neither the publisher
> events nor the exception view changes of Zope 2.12 have made their way
> into repoze.zope2. It's not all that hard to do, but without someone
> driving the project forward, we have diverging code bases and
> something like Plone 4.0a3 probably doesn't run on repoze.zope2 right
> now.

repoze.zope2, at this point, could be considered one or both of the following:

- A proof of concept for Zope 2 WSGI support, waiting to be merged in some
   fashion.  Tres has actually made progress towards doing this on the Zope
   trunk.

- A separate project looking for a maintainer who cares deeply about
   feature parity with the Zope 2 trunk.  Martin has provided some patches
   that make  repoze.zope2 more compatible with the stock Zope 2 publisher
   over the last year or so, but I'm pretty sure he's not interested in doing
   that forever.

I think everybody is in favor of merging, at least in spirit, to the trunk.
And actually, on the Zope 2 trunk, Tres has a notional merge all done except
for the cryin': there is a WSGIPublisher IIRC, but it still has some issues.
For example, when you visit the ZMI, some ZMI icons are not renderered
properly.  And there are probably some other lingering issues, which will take
a while to shake out.

The existence of a WSGIPublisher in the Zope 2 trunk won't help folks who "use
the Plone defaults" for several years, though.  I'm not sure what to do in that
interregnum.  I think about the best we can do is continue to offer r.zope2 up
on an "as-is" basis and hope someone comes along who wants to keep it patched
up until the current Zope 2 trunk is Plone's default.

- C