On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 04:14:33PM +0100, Casper.Dik at Sun.COM wrote:
> >Why, other than the returning an error we already have 5 such privileges
> >in the basic set.  Now in each of those cases (proc_info, proc_session,
> >proc_fork, proc_exec, file_link_any) there is a way to return an error
> >for sync(2) but there is for 'lockfs -f'.
>
> And it's exactly what the basic set is intended for.

What's the problem here?  That on a large SunRay server the likelihood
of users running 'sync' at any given time is very high, and that this
affects performance?  Or is it that one user can hog I/O resources?

If the former, then make sync/lockfs -f take their time; make it a
resource control, set the minimum for mere mortal users to five seconds
(think ZFS :) and declare victory.

If the latter, then perhaps we need better per-user I/O resource controls.

Nico