>We use both C3P0 and DBCP exactly for that purpose; we read information from
>a separate configuration file found on the classpath, build a connexion
>pool, and register the pool by calling the JNDI API.
>
>In our experience, C3P0 is a touch faster and more stable than DBCP, but the
>error messages from DBCP are cleaner.  For example, if you can't login to
>the database, C3P0 tends to wrap the message in a generic "could not connect
>after n tries" and you have to go dig in the logs to see the actual cause,
>whereas DBCP gives the root cause.
>
>Jean-François Lamy
>Teximus
>+1 514 878-1577 x222

I've been using Proxool for 3+ years. It's been very stable and can be
configured programatically as well as well XML or properties.

I'm using the older version 0.8.3, but 0.9 release candidates have been
out for a while.

<http://proxool.sourceforge.net/>

<http://proxool.sourceforge.net/configure.html>

Regards,