Hey, I know this one!

Thomas, there is a set of AppleScripts that you can install from the client
CD-ROM. One of them does just what you want--though invisibly. You won't see
it open the control panel or make settings. Run it, and your machine will be
backed up "ASAP." (You can check afterward in the control panel. It'll be
set!) I've put this script in the Apple Menu of all the clients on our
network for their ease of use.

Cordially,

  Scott Ponzani
  Communications Coordinator