on 4/17/2000 1:41 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> I ran a backup on a test database and the backup ran without any errors
>> (while FileMaker was still running).  I was then able to restore the
>> database from tape and open it -- no problems, but FileMaker Server was
>> never shutdown during the backup.
> I just ran a similar test and found that the database was backed up, but some
> indices had to be rebuilt.  Shutting down FileMaker should give more reliable
> results.  I just posted a very similar question to yours, before reading
> Friday's postings.  It would be very nice if the server shutdown script could
> somehow be triggered by the Retrospect Client, but I don't see a way to do
> that yet.

Just set up a script in FileMaker Pro Server to backup all open databases at
a certain time, preferably just before the Retrospect script is set to run.
It's all built-in. Ours does it every night at 8:00 or something.

Jon L. Gardner '89, Computer Systems Manager <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Texas A&M University Dept. of Food Services <http://food.tamu.edu/>
Tel 979.458.1839 Fax 979.845.2157 ICQ 34792860
PGP public key available at <http://food.tamu.edu/pgp/jon.html>