Following was my strategy when I used FMP-S on a Mac.
(We're being forced to NT boxen now...)

Use the Retrospect Selector to _deselect_ the folder that FMP-S and the
database files themselves reside in.

Script Filemaker Pro Server to back up the individual databases to a
separate folder at some given time in the late night or early morning. This
backup takes less than a few seconds.
Script FMP-S to shutdown the databases.

Script Retrospect to do its backup, including the folder that contains the
backed up database files (from FMP-S script), but excepting the deselected
folder.

Have another FMP-Server script open the databases (at a time after the Retro
backup has swept past).

In this way you have a good backup of closed database files, and you assure
that the files are really closed before the backup sweeps past.

By the way, doing several FMP-S backups of those files during the day takes
no time at all, and assures that you always have a copy of your database
files.

> Another _very_ useful and important routine to run is to set
> up a timed script
> in FileMaker that does a save as of the database(s).  This
> ensures that there is an
> inert copy of the database that Retrospect can backup safely
> and a emergency
> copy available to use if a crash renders the original unusable.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Erik Ableson
>
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2000 at 03:39:25PM -0500, Jon Gardner wrote:
> > on 4/17/2000 1:41 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] at

> without any errors
> restore the
> FileMaker Server was
> > >
> > > I just ran a similar test and found that the database was
> backed up, but some
> > > indices had to be rebuilt.  Shutting down FileMaker
> should give more reliable
> > > results.  I just posted a very similar question to yours,
> before reading
> > > Friday's postings.  It would be very nice if the server
> shutdown script could
> > > somehow be triggered by the Retrospect Client, but I
> don't see a way to do
> > > that yet.
> >
> > Just set up a script in FileMaker Pro Server to backup all
> open databases at
> > a certain time, preferably just before the Retrospect
> script is set to run.
> > It's all built-in. Ours does it every night at 8:00 or something.

        Because e-mail can be altered electronically,
        the integrity of this communication cannot be guaranteed.