Short and sweet.. I have TWO VXA drives in an 8500 upgraded to a G3 with a
newertech card and 192 megs ram. I threw in  an Adaptec 2940UW card set it
to fast scsi-10 and I get 150 megs/min across the network. Local is even
faster. I'm surprised you got that answer from Ecrix. If anything call back
and ask for Chris Wall (head of tech support). I have been in contact with
him quite a bit (I'm a reseller for Ecrix) and have never heard about this
retrospect/ecrix problem.
Definitely put it on it's own card.. that's my .02

Garret J. Cleversley
Vice President/General Manager
Center Page, Inc.
716-822-2212