I've been emailing Ecrix support about whether the 68 version of the
VXA drive would be significant faster than the SCSI-2 version on a
fast switched network. What they've said so far is:

The network speed never stays at 100 mps, it varies continuously.
Network backup speeds can run between 100 and 150 mb/sec, this is what I
have heard from customers.  On a network backup the singled ended narrow
VXA-1 might run the same speed as an LVD VXA-1, because of the network
bottle neck.

This doesn't parse to me...getting 150 mbps on a 100mbps network. In
any event, I'm still wondering whether getting the 68 pin ultra scsi
version would prove superior to the SCSI 2 with fast ethernet
backups, or whether the network would still be the bottleneck.

Any comments appreciated.

Todd Reed

On 5/26/00, John Gee  sent an email about Re: Experience with VXA
drive  Retro 4.2?

>For "ideal" backups to VXA across 100Mb ethernet from a fast client
>with large files, I see speeds like this:
>Completed: 211 files, 315.2 MB
>Performance: 123.6 MB/minute (122.0 copy, 125.2 compare)
>John Gee                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Dunedin, New Zealand            Programmers live in interesting times...
>To subscribe:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>To unsubscribe:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Archives:        <http://list.working-dogs.com/lists/retro-talk/>
>Problems?:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Infoasis  ---   534 4th St., Ste. 2  ---  San Rafael, CA 94901
(415) 459-7991  ---  FAX: (415) 459-7992
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  ---  http://www.infoasis.com