...and thus spake Greg Morin on this day of 5/25/00 11:43 AM:

>> So I did some testing: I created a 25 MB disk image file (single 25
>> MB file, all zeros) on the internal hard drive on the Fast SCSI-2
>> bus and backed it up to the VXA drive and then to the DDS-2 drive
>> using Retrospect 4.2. Here are my results (avg):
>>
>> VXA: 44 MB/m (46 copy/42 compare)
>> DDS-2: 94 MB/m (60 copy/214 compare)
>>
>> Overall the DDS-2 drive is over twice as fast as the VXA, a tad
>> slower on copy, but 6 times slower on compare!.

Try and disable software compression.  I has slow copy speeds until I
disabled software compression.  I had assumed Retrospect would detect the
VXA's native hardware compression, and ignore software compression.  My
speeds tripled after turning software compression off.

Jon Oplinger
Howell, Ltd.
477 Congress St.
Portland, Maine  04101