At 1:11 PM -0700 29/6/00, Matthew Tevenan wrote:

>The Retrospect Client will check its network connection every one hour. If
>your connection is a dial-up connection, this means it will try to dial out.
>That's why I recommended using Location Manager to switch between extension
>sets...

Can you elaborate on this? I have not found the Retro Client does
this, but I'm on a LAN so the connection presumably exists and the
client is happy. But if the Mac is set to 'Connect via' PPP will it
then dial up? That might be unusual though to have the Client running
when on a PPP dialup connection. Where's the backup server going to
be?

I have to say that IMO ANY software that causes these sort of
uncontrollable dialups is seriously flawed, badly written, arrogantly
conceived, call it what you like. If you pay for calls, as we do here
in the UK, this software costs you money every time it feels like it.
Since the minimum call time is likely to be several minutes this is
not trivial and irrespective of the cost it is just not acceptable
for a programmer to make decisions like when he will spend your
money. I am VERY against this sort of arrogance (so typical of
Microsoft in fact) and I'm surprised at Dantz.

At 3:38 PM -0400 29/6/00, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
>For example, I have a 6500 with 9.0.4 which demands the right to do
>a DNS lookup whenever the File Sharing CP is opened. It does not
>matter if file sharing is on or not; in fact, the CP can be already
>open and if I just click on the Activity Monitor tab and then back
>to Start/Stop, it demands to do a DNS lookup -again-. No way to turn
>it off. If that 6500 can't get to a DNS server, it's a 45 sec
>-lockup-.

Internet Explorer tries a reverse lookup on the address when you
attempt to load a page which cause a dialup to find the DNS (assuming
that the TCP config specified a remote DNS), yet if the target is on
the local LAN the dialup is wasted. Worse than that, the Mac
effectively hangs while it waits for the answer as this process hogs
the entire CPU. When it cannot get an answer IE just carries on, so
having the name rather than numeric address is obviously not
important so why waste my time and money.

Stefan's problem with File Sharing is I believe the same problem -
there's a lookup going on and if there isn't a DNS entry you're stuck
for about 45 seconds waiting for the lookup to fail. I'm not sure why
it occurs on the 6500 and not the G4 with the same OS though. Are
they both pointing at the same DNS?

I have found that once I set up a local DNS (MacDNS) these long waits
disappeared as the lookups were quickly completed and everything is
happy.

This hogging the CPU for lookups is a MacOS thing though, not an
application problem and BTW WiNT doesn't do it. It seems to be able
to figure there's no response to the DNS query and get on with things
much more rapidly and even while it is waiting you can still do other
things.

My major complaint is that many programs seem to be written in a way
that assumes a permanent or free Internet connection and while that
may be true for a lot of the US, it certainly isn't the case here in
the UK and this arrogance makes me very angry indeed. NO application
should EVER cause a dialup that the user has not requested or
specifically allowed.

--

Ken  G i l l e t t