> It would be really nice if the powerbook could be set to automatically
> use the dial-up TCP/IP config during the day so the user can get to the
> internet, then switch to ethernet at night to allow network backup. Can
> Location manager do that?

I've found that the sky's the limit when it comes to Location Manager and
AppleScript, so I'm sure it is possible to automate this process. How? I'm
not the person to ask that...

> WISH LIST ITEM: Put an "advanced prefs" section in the retro client,
> where you can force it not to do those lookups at certain times of day.
> Or let this be administered at the server.

I've logged your suggestion.

Matthew Tevenan
Technical Support Specialist
Dantz Development Corporation
925.253.3050 
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> From: Luke Jaeger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Organization: Disney Magazine Publishing
> Reply-To: "retro-talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 09:37:40 -0400
> To: retro-talk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Powerbook dials internet once an hour?
> 
> since this behavior only started after I installed the retro client, I
> suspect the retro client.
> 
> This powerbook rarely if ever leaves its spot on the LAN. Until I showed
> up to install Retrospect, they weren't using any TCP/IP-based network
> services over ethernet, just classic a'talk file sharing.
> 
> It would be really nice if the powerbook could be set to automatically
> use the dial-up TCP/IP config during the day so the user can get to the
> internet, then switch to ethernet at night to allow network backup. Can
> Location manager do that?
> 
> WISH LIST ITEM: Put an "advanced prefs" section in the retro client,
> where you can force it not to do those lookups at certain times of day.
> Or let this be administered at the server.
> 
> Matthew Tevenan wrote:
>> 
>> The Retrospect Client will check its network connection every one hour. If
>> your connection is a dial-up connection, this means it will try to dial out.
>> That's why I recommended using Location Manager to switch between extension
>> sets...
>> 
>> This one-hour interval is up from a ten-second interval with the 4.0 client.
>> 
>> Matthew Tevenan
>> Technical Support Specialist
>> Dantz Development Corporation
>> 925.253.3050
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> 
>>> From: "Edmund A. Hintz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>> Reply-To: "retro-talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>> Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:00:19 -0700
>>> To: "retro-talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>> Subject: Re: Powerbook dials internet once an hour?
>>> 
>>> I can't resist a good whack on a dead horse...
>>> 
>>> I don't think I saw anybody mention "web sharing" as a possible source of
>>> mystery ip connections... along with file sharing over IP, NTP lookups from
>>> date&time, and unchecking "load only when needed" in the tcp/ip cdev. If
>>> none of these are culprits, a test with the Mac OS only init set might find
>>> another 3rd party init at fault...
>>> 
>>> Regards,
>>> 
>>> Ed Hintz
>>> Geek Guy
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> --
>>> ----------------------------------------------------------
>>> To subscribe:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>> To unsubscribe:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>> Archives:        <http://list.working-dogs.com/lists/retro-talk/>
>>> Problems?:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>> 
>> 
>> --
>> ----------------------------------------------------------
>> To subscribe:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> To unsubscribe:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> Archives:        <http://list.working-dogs.com/lists/retro-talk/>
>> Problems?:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 
> -- 
> 
> 
> top of the world,
> 
> Luke Jaeger, Technology Coordinator
> Disney Magazine Publishing
> Northampton, Massachusetts
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 
> Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and may not represent
> the opinions of Disney Publishing, etc etc etc.
> 
> *
> 
> 
> --
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> To subscribe:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To unsubscribe:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Archives:        <http://list.working-dogs.com/lists/retro-talk/>
> Problems?:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 



--
----------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To unsubscribe:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Archives:        <http://list.working-dogs.com/lists/retro-talk/>
Problems?:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to