At 10:46 PM -0600 1/17/01, Steve Yuroff wrote:
>Hello, list!
>
>I've read the manual, reviewed the archives, but I'm still not sure
>if this is a good idea, (or if I completely "get it") so I'd like
>the list's input:
>
>I'm responsible for a 100bT network with about 50 desktops, 15
>laptops and 3 servers, backing up to a DDS-3 8 tape autoloader, and
>perhaps soon to an AIT-II autoloader.  I've been using a backup
>script to handle the backups, but it has the problem of missing the
>commonly absent laptops.  I'm looking at using the "backup server"
>feature to access the laptops on demand.  What I'm not clear on is
>the best way to do it, and have 2 ideas:
>
>1) Have a script that backs up all the desktops (user machines and
>servers) overnight, and backup all the laptops via Backup Server
>starting early in the day. This way, the laptops left overnight
>could get backed up before the users arrive, and those that arrive
>later will get addressed as they're available. However, if I do
>this, can both methods write to the same storage set?
>
>2) Do all the machines via Backup Server.  But is there a way to use
>Backup Server and guarantee that Retrospect won't try to access
>desktops and servers during the day, but only at night?  It seems to
>me that if I make the active time start at midnight with a "backup
>every 24 hrs" set, it should work that way, but I'm not confident
>I'm right.

I may end up going to the style recommended by Craig in another
email, once we get our new tape drive system. But I started with an
experiment with a backup server script, so this is what I do:

Laptop backup server runs from 8:30 to 3:30, Monday-Friday. All the
laptop user's hard drives (not the client itself, otherwise it will
back up floppies and zips and annoy the users) are in this backup
set. Users can defer the backup to a later time, but know when it
ends so they plan accordingly. They have their own backup tape.

Desktop and servers run on a regular script, which runs at night.
They have their own set of backup tapes, which rotates every night
for two weeks of tapes.

I hope this helps!

--
Julia Frizzell