I'm confused here a bit.  My clients only get asked at the beginning
of the backup.  Not per folder.  Once the backup starts, it's backing
up until they cancel or it finishes.

Several of the people like to shut down their Macs at night, so they
choose Shutdown and leave it at the Retrospect shutdown warning
dialog...which goes into screen saver.  Then after the backup, the
machine will automatically shutdown.

If a machine is shut off already, obviously, it won't back up at all.
Laptops that are "sound asleep" won't wake up, but if they are just
resting they will.  My PC laptop has two sleep modes.  Hibernation
and normal sleep.  Normal sleep just puts the HD to sleep, screen
dims and the processor slows down.  Hibernation saves the current
state to disk and shuts down.  When woke up, it reloads the current
state and checks for changes (ie. unplugged).