On Wednesday, April 10, 2019 11:41:21 AM D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On 4/10/19 8:54 AM, rhkra...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I guess you mean a retail desktop without Windows off the shelf?
>
> No, I mean a retail desktop anything off the shelf.  Nobody stocks them
> anymore.  It's all laptops and all-in-ones, peppered with the occasional
> ridiculous "gaming PC" that has crap specs at a high price with some red
> LEDs thrown in to make it look, I don't know, gamey.

Have you checked out Newegg and TigerDirect (both for mail order).  Within the
last year, I bought a new (not refurbished) desktop (in a mini-tower) for
$299.

(I don't know where in the world you are located -- it is possible they don't
ship to your location.)

(They also sell a lot of refurbished units, but at $299 that was close to what
I used to pay to buy components for a system, and this came with Windows,
which I can use to update the map in my Garmin Nuvi 40 LM. ;-)

>From the order (from Tiger Direct, ordered 20180914) :

<quote>
Item#: 41418724

    AMD A6-8570 3.5GHz <dual core>
    8GB DDR4 RAM
    500GB HDD
    Radeon R5 420 Graphics
    6x USB 3.1, 4x USB 2.0, 1x VGA, 2x DisplayPorts
    Windows 10 Professional
    1XJ76US#ABA
</quote>

The processor uses 65 watts, and there is a note somewhere "The APU can be
configured to run at 45 Watt TDP."  (I like low power consumption, both to
minimize heat and power use, as I keep my main machine up 24/7 (and on a
UPS).)

I haven't put it in service yet -- in the old days, I watched to buy the
components for my next machine at sale prices before I actually needed it -- I
bought this on the same principle.  (Accepting Windows was sort of a sacrifice,
but, as I mentioned, I should be able to update my Garmin maps (which is
harder to do on Linux -- it can be done, most easily with 3rd party maps.)