On April 9, 2019 1:49:22 AM HST, Sami Jumppanen <sami.jumppa...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Out of curiosity, what is the problem?
>

> > >I had gotten in the habit of just buying a retail desktop PC off
> the
> > >shelf, but you can't buy those anymore.  Getting Linux onto a
> retail
> > >Windows PC is a huge pain in the ass anyway.  I guess I have to go
> > >figure out what components to buy and roll my own like it's 1995.
> I am
> > >not looking forward to this at all.
> >

> - Buy a computer
> - Put in another hard drive, I bought a cheap SSD
> - (Unplug the supplied Windows drive if you're not going to use it for
> now)
> - Install Linux
>
> I did find the new Linux installer (with Ubuntu Studio) a bit strange.
> It
> seemed all logical with empty HDD, but when having another HDD in the
> computer with Ubuntu Studio, the installer says there were no other OS
> found and logical volume management options and all the talk of
> deletion
> look strange or scary :D
>
> I am using now a 2006 era dual core and everything looks ok. Maybe the
> newest computers bring new problems?
>
> Sami

My wife's Asus is 2014 or 2015. Booted it from a USB stick, got to see all the
lovely partitions Window 10 scattered all over the drive. Xubuntu 18.04
installed over it with no problems.

That wasn't Ubuntu Studio. Maybe they're behind the times?

--
David W. Jones
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.