For dying computer owners: before upgrading anything, use a known good PSU.
I just lost a week worth of late nights trying to set up a new computer. I
deducted that it was the PSU on the nearly functional computer that had
caused CPU failure, by having something else than DC voltage. On the
average the voltages were a bit low, but contained AC spiking.

That CPU didn't work with decent PSU (normal voltage levels) anymore, on
any board I tried - the other boards didn't even boot into BIOS. I had
three PSUs to test and always it was the old one that made the old board
work so well that I could install Ubuntu Studio and upgrade it even once,
but then I got jams and interrupted HDD writes.

I postponed indefinitely testing the other boards with another CPU because
I had an older computer that had no problems - and still runs fine.

PSUs are dangerous! :)

Sami Jumppanen
http://netti.nic.fi/some-e