Yeah, I do something similar.  I record the raw audio tracks with Rosegarden
and then when I have all the tracks (and then some), I pull them into
Audacity for editing, mixing, and processing.  Outputs are usually stereo,
5.1, and 7.1 flac files to be merged with video.

I use a Linux cluster and quite a bit of external MIDI gear.  Jack, MIDI,
and Netjack interfacing are important to my uses.