On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 10:37 AM 'Martin R' via sage-release
<sage-release@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Thanks again!  It still tries to build R and fails
>
> I checked that system R starts, it does (R version 3.4.4)
Please also make sure that

pkg-config --modversion libR

outputs the version.

However there is just no "checking for R" message in your config.log,
it indicates that there are still remains of R left
in your installation.

I've opened https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/29016
to deal with R being hard to clean away - feel free to try it.

Maybe you also need to run

make r-clean