On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 11:35 AM 'Martin R' via sage-release
<sage-release@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 15. Januar 2020 12:02:30 UTC+1 schrieb Dima Pasechnik:
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 10:37 AM 'Martin R' via sage-release
>> <sage-r...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Thanks again!  It still tries to build R and fails
>> >
>> > I checked that system R starts, it does (R version 3.4.4)
>> Please also make sure that
>>
>> pkg-config --modversion libR
>>
>> outputs the version.
>>
> Yes, it does.
>

>> However there is just no "checking for R" message in your config.log,
>> it indicates that there are still remains of R left
>> in your installation.
>>
>> I've opened https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/29016
>> to deal with R being hard to clean away - feel free to try it.
>>
>> Maybe you also need to run
>>
>> make r-clean
>

> I did that, it says that there is no legacy uninstaller for r, and that there
> is nothing to do.  I checked for the files in the ticket, but none of them
> exists. :-(
>
> The config.log contains the lines
>
> configure:18950: checking installing any of atlas openblas iconv readline
> bzip2 xz pcre curl?
> configure:18954: result: yes; install r as well
>
> but I do not know how to find out which of those (atlas openblas iconv
> readline bzip2 xz pcre curl) is the problem.

The easiest is to look at the output of ./configure
It should contain lines like

atlas-3.10.2.p3 will not be installed (configure check)

for each of the packages in that list.
So for any of these that are not marked this way, please install the
corresponding system package
and re-run configure.