>> - Analysis: It would be worth considering to run the
>>    analysis of a game from then end to the start. This allows
>>    the engine to reuse internal hash tables. Stefan told me
>>    that at least within Shredder this improves the analysis
>>    quite a bit (...)
>
> Currently engines don't clear their hash tables when moving
> forward. But maybe hash data have a higher hit rate when analysing
> backward.

Exactly. While moving back, you have calculated and deepened
lines which actually happened in the game. While moving forward,
you have many lines which are no longer relevant.

> If you have some nice piece sets, you can send them I will
> incorporate them in the file bitmaps.tcl (I prefer to embed data in
> tcl, and avoid the use of external files for resources used by
> Scid).

I'm recently fan of Fantasy set by Maurizio Monge
( http://linuz.sns.it/~monge/wiki/index.php/Chess_pieces ,
some example how it looks like in smaller size:
  http://mekk.waw.pl/mk/watchbot/game/787125 )
But note that it looks far worse when converted to GIF instead of
PNG....