> - ./configure: it would be nice to implement --prefix

./configure BINDIR=/usr/local/bin SHAREDIR=/usr/local/share/scid

let you configure the same. Of course one can set those two variables
somehow when --prefix is given, but considering scid configure is
written in TCL, I am not volunteering ;-)

(BTW, personally I found it more reasonable to install binaries to
separate scid-dedicated directory and add it to PATH, ancient scid
present in many Linux distributions causes frequent conflicts...)

>  > - Merida piece sets reworked and added the possibility to
>  > use image files for white and black squares. See
>  > wsquare.gif and bsquare.gif in bitmaps directory (Thanks
>  > to Uwe Klimmek)

Hmm, just as I noticed graphics-related subject...

a) Is it necessary to use .gif? .png has nice benefit of handling
   alpha-blending (= far better looking piece edges)

b) Are there any details how to build graphics set for scid available?
   I happened to pack some sets for schemingmind and for my website,
   maybe I would try packing sth for scid too...

c) I *hate* the way picking piece set is currently implemented.
   Options/Chessboard/PieceStyle/nameWhichNeedNotToTellMeAnything,
   and if I dislike what I picked, again Options/Chessboard/....

   It would be nice to have some popup window where one would
   actually see example images.

   Or, if it is very troublesome, at least documentation page
   with examples would help..