I thought all whisky tasted the same till I went for a distillery
tasting recently. Where I was taught, a little, by a wonderfully down
to earth master distiller on tasting whiskies and generally drinking
them with a little insight. He said rather than worrying about whether
I got the same "honey" notes as he did, I should focus on figuring out
notes I liked and then trying lots of different whiskies till I found
what pleased me the most.

Now I really do enjoy whiskies better. Oddly, maybe, the insights he
gave me help me identify bad whiskies more than it does good.

It turns out I like smokey malts. Cheers.