wine on a regular basis, sufficient to allow us to develop our palates;
2.   Most of us should be able to figure out the difference between No. 1 in a
blind test and No. 10, even if we can't make out any real difference between
#6, #7 and #8;
3.   Indian wines are improving, but certainly nowhere near the quality of a
standard Chardonnay or a Pinot Noir out of any standard Tesco outlet, forget
about the vintage and crus and grand crus;
4.   Finding a wine style - either varietal or more subtle - to suit one's
tastes is not particularly difficult. Finding a fortified wine of choice is
even easier. It doesn't take a hugely sophisticated palate to conclude that
either a Chardonnay or a Riesling is one's tipple, rather than the other whites
(I bet nobody other than Charles has had any of the big Sauternes, so why bring
them in?), or choose between Pinot Noir and the mix of grapes that go into
Claret. The point being that some of what is being called wine snobbery here is
probably due to having developed a taste in a kind of wine, and being unable to
find the equivalent among Indian wines.

Frankly, I think we are hugely overdoing the wine snobbery bit; if we can
distinguish between cigarette brands and their smokes, or between different
brands of blended whiskey, what is the big deal in being able to distinguish
between different types of wine?

And Indian wine has improved tremendously but ......