From: ss <cybers...@gmail.com>
To: silklist@lists.hserus.net
Sent: Friday, 11 November 2011, 6:41
Subject: Re: [silk] Query on wines.... and snobbery

On Thursday 10 Nov 2011 11:14:46 pm Indrajit Gupta wrote:
> Frankly, I think we are hugely overdoing the wine snobbery bit; if we can
>  distinguish between cigarette brands and their smokes, or between
>  different brands of blended whiskey, what is the big deal in being able to
>  distinguish between different types of wine?

:D

Objection, your honour.

If you sit in a dining room and say you can tell the difference between
Charminar and Benson & Hedges, most people would give you credit for being
gifted like a circus clown.

But if you pronounce funny sounding French names and say you can close your
eyes and say what tastes good and what does not, (a skill that is avaialble to
all children after the age of 6 months) people act as if you are a king.

It is completely artificial. Completely fraudulent. And a huge laugh. I would
not give it teh aura it is being given.

shiv