On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:46:40AM +0100, Aanjhan Ranganathan wrote:

> We (some 12 of us) in Zurich, had a blind wine tasting party. Each of
> us got a wine bottle (either expensive or cheap). The host wrapped the
> bottles in aluminium foil and numbered them. Everybody  then tasted
> the wine and started classifying the wines. It was fun (of-course at
> the end of it ). Nobody got more than 70% right. And guess who scored
> 70%? ;-)

You should try this with a 100% tannat grape and lesser wines.
Sure, some are more organoleptically challenged than others, but
I'd assume the recognition rate would nearly quantitative in this
case.

> The worst score was by a German girl (Can't blame her. There was no
> beer). So yes, some wines do taste yuck. But it is always personal

Beers have huge differences as well. Consider this thread:
http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/3949153