What I did was look at the specs on various nebulizers on line and noticed that even between nebulizer units there is a difference in droplet size, the smaller handheld units had larger droplet sizes, although this may not be true now since Omron has come out with a new technology in their
hand held unit.

The idea of the droplet being too small was mentioned to me by
a seller of the new Omron US unit. You can call him and ask him
since he would know much more than I do. He sells the new unit
on eBay which is where I found his email, he is in Texas.

Garnet

Dr Chris Steele, ITV's This Morning supporting LDN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVpjsDK0LPA

Malcolm wrote:
Hi Garnet, I'd be interested in knowing how you - or whoever - arrived
at this conclusion, since the ultrasonic element seems to be about the
same in the one (only one) I've seen used for animals and the multitude
I've seen for humans.

My only point is that someone may have been trying to sell something on
the basis of an advertisement, not facts.  Consider what either of these
do; the ultrasonic part is to assure the carrier, water, and content are
not separated by distillation, as in steam, and are effectively
delivered to the alveoli, not trapped in larger passageways as droplets
like the whirly bird (for want of a better description) type humidifiers
make.

The idea that there could be a size of droplet that would be "too small"
seems suspect, unless the idea was that the medication would be left
behind by being dropped out or evaporated out of the solution being
"nebulized" - which I think means "fogged".  And if that were the case,
it would be useless for most of us warm-bloodeds. Most mammal lung
tissue is kinda similar when you are talking about the alveolar level -
has the same job, mainly getting CO2 out of the blood and O2 in; i.e.
packing an enormous area of very thin tissue in intimate contact with
the blood on one side and the atmosphere on the other into a reasonably
compact and protected flexible space.

Considering the minor cost of a used ultrasonic humidifier and the minor
effort of cleaning and sanitizing it (what else is CS for, after all?)
why not set aside some presumed (dare I say "nebulous"? <g>) theoretical
perfection in the interest of getting the job done; the proof's in the
results, not the ad copy.

One additional note; how many "nebulizers" does a veterinarian have to
have to treat the numerous mammalian and avian species that come through
the clinic door?  Give you a clue?  Does me. . . .

HTH, Malcolm