With this cold I only took Echinacea a day or so, absolutely no indication it was helping so I moved on. Thanks for the info, I had no idea it was related to ragweed. Wasn't it you who mentioned corn allergy? If so, I'd very much like to know how you became really certain you were allergic to it. Did you have tests or do an elimination diet, or what? After doing an elimination diet for other reasons, I found out I am allergic to peanuts. Now, I had eaten peanuts and peanut butter with seemingly no problems all my life, but after about 2 or more months without a single one, I ate some peanut butter and got dreadfully ill, lasted a whole day. Now I can't even bear the smell of peanuts. With mushrooms,another thing I'm apparently allergic to now, I didn't feel as sick, but I can no longer eat the canned ones especially, but again, I had eaten and enjoyed them all my life previously (I'm 58). I confess, I don't really understand either of these happenings. The cold is now in the 16th day, and hanging on, but I am getting very slightly better most days, with a relapse here and there. The sore throat is now minimal, but not gone. I stopped the quart a day of EIS, a couple days ago, but am still misting my hands and face, stopped nose drops of EIS, but did nebulize today. Still using my EIS/peroxide mouthwash, but am otherwise back to drinking about 4 oz of EIS per day, couldn't see keeping up the huge intake as it wasn't helping. I have done the peroxide in the ears yesterday and day before. I have added Grapefruit seed extract and probiotics (not at the same time), today is the 3rd or 4th day of those. Also upped vit C. and am taking a full complement of vitamins and minerals (which I don't usually do regularly because of allergies: I try never to do anything too regularly, lest I become allergic to more things via overexposure). However, it does seem if it will eventually go away, better to not go the route of regular abx, don't want to start THAT cascade of events.
sol

ransley wrote:

Sol wrote:

Echinacea doesn't work for me either...<

Be careful with Echinacea; it is a cousin of ragweed!

About 1/3 of the population is allergic to it. I am terrifically reactive to
both.

The worst cold and sinus infection I had after I got into alternatives was
when I took Echinacea for a cold. Oh man what a tailspin that was.

DB