I remember doing a commercial for a studio here (eastern europe),
and we outsourced a horse model to a friend of mine who now happens to work
at lionhead. Point was, it took him 3 days, i recall, to do it, and it cost
1000 euros.
And that was 4 or 5 years ago, and it wasn't considered that expensive, and
we're talking eastern europe here. Don't know if the prices have changed
that much since then in the modelling area, but i thought it might be food
for thought.
But the guy had an impressive portfolio even back then.
On the other hand, i had a friend who recently hired a ubisoft guy with a
rather poor portfolio to model a toycar, and he did it for 400 in 4 days.

Don't know if it matters whether it's cartoony or realistic, but i think
your portfolio will also help dictate the amount of money that you can or
can't charge.

visual | stuff
www.okto.ro