OK, but it works for SDS only, and I need shading control on real time objects
via edge hardening or softening

From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Angus Davidson
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2014 10:35 AM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: RE: Anyone in the SI list transitioning to MODO? -Please add your mail
here

Hi there

You can use the edge weight tool to do just that.

from the inline help

The Edge Weight tool allows you to add creasing to subdivision surfaces without
adding additional geometry by creating a "weight" on various edges. To use the
tool simply select an edge or edges and click on the Edge Weight Tool button in
the Vertex Map menu and then click and drag in the 3D viewport. Setting the
value to 100% will create a completely hard edge whereas a value of 0% allows
the default interpolation of the limit surface through the control vertices. It
is also possible in modo to set edge weights to negative values which will push
the limit surface away from the control vertices.

[file:///C:\Program%20Files\Luxology\modo\701_sp5\help\images\tools\WeightToolPanel.png]This
 tool is actually using the generic "Weight Tool" but first selects the
Subdivision Vertex Map so that the appropriate vertex map is adjusted when
using the tool