Let me see if I understood your rendertree, you are rendering your beauty
without any shadows right? then an FG pass which you add to the beauty pass
two times, one normal and one darkened and masked with the shadow pass.

It's being a while since I've rendered in this kind of components, but
light should be treated as an additive thing. I would render the beauty
with shadows, and add (plus) the final gathering to that pass, if you want
to change the color and intensity only for the shadows I think I would
resort to making a new pass, override the surface port of all the objects
and connect a white lambert. Then you got your shadows and self-shadows
without resorting to the shadow shader.

I mean it's not physically correct but for your purposes might work.