Hi Adam,

Thanks so much those points are really helpful to us and thanks again to give
information in such an organized way!

Shuting

From: Adam Sale <adamfs...@gmail.com<mailto:adamfs...@gmail.com>>
Date: Sunday, November 30, 2014 at 6:34 PM
To: "softimage@listproc.autodesk.com<mailto:softimage@listproc.autodesk.com>"
<softimage@listproc.autodesk.com<mailto:softimage@listproc.autodesk.com>>
Subject: Re: Need your opinion to improve Maya Outliner/ Attribute Editor

Hi Shuting, echoing the sentiment of others, I  really appreciate your approach
to improving Maya based on the feedback of Softimage users.

My main points re: the outliner and possible improvements based on Explorer and
property pages.

1) Disconnect between multi ppg editing across the Maya. Channel box vs
Attribute editor.
2) Filtering in the explorer allows me to manage my entire scene, in a single
explorer or multiple instances of it, with locking, recycling, or recycle
similar options. I can't do that with the channel box. I can with the attribute
editor, but then lose the ability to multi edit.
3) Back to filtering, being able to see objects, params, groups, etc gives me a
much easier way of looking at a complex scene on a number of different levels.
4) Explorer as a pass management system.
5) Filtering in the explorer based on Passes, Scene, Layers,
6) F3 pop up explorers are huge timesavers.
7) Drag and drop onto attributes, keying with a single click. On that note, RMB
and having to choose key selected in Maya is highly inefficient. We should
simply have to LMB on the attribute. RMB should be for secondary functions.
8) Being able to view an operator stack with D and D re-organization. I know
Maya has the input shuffling feature, but  its not a part of the Outliner, when
it should be.
9) LMB node and MMb Branch Selection functionality. This is one of the most
maddening things about Maya.
10) Color coding of node, branch and multi selection is very confusing.
For example, I select the root joint of a chain of joints. They all turn green.
I shift select the next joint down to multi select it with the first, now the
first turns white and the rest green.
So instead, turn off child selection highlighting. Now what happens is still
kind of confusing. I select the first joint in the chain. It turn green, the
res turn pink. I shift select the 2nd joint to add it to selection. The first
joint turns white, the second green and the third pink. From a new users
perspective, its even more bewildering.
In Softimage, this is handled elegantly and simply. Never any confusion. Child
selected object, white, If you shift select to add another object in multi
select, it too turns white, the other bones remain their original colors. When
you MMB or Tree select objects, the whole hierarchy turns white as you would
expect.
If Maya users are used to this behavior fine, but an option to switch this
behavior would be so welcome.
10) Use of Model spaces to further organize a scene. My Maya scenes just don't
seem as elegantly clean and organized as my Softimage scenes. The visual idea
of a model node went a long way to helping me feel like I had my house in
order. If Assets are supposed to be the equivalent of models, then they need to
have a RMB option on them to Export the asset quickly instead of having to jump
up to the top menu, or marking menu. Sets, should also be allowed to reside as
children of an asset.
11) Explorer visualization of hierarchical connections. I have a hard time
explaining this, and looking back and forth at the explorer / outliner, I think
it may have something to do with the way the indented lines denoting the parent
child relations extend all the way through to the icons in the explorer,
whereas in Maya, there is a space between the icon and the connecting
hierarchical line. It may not seem like much, but when looking at massive
hierarchies, I just find it a major benefit in Softimage in being able to
instantly understand the relationships between the various parts.
12) Ability to parent sets under models. Currently sets make the outliner
incredibly messy down near the bottom. If we could pair sets with a model type
node, this would clean things up even more.
13) Ability to show all attributes under an object.

Thanks for the ear.

Adam

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 1:17 AM, Simon Reeves