Thanks Olivier...that helps...going to look at that.

Rob...ha ha...I think my ICE skills are below your assumptions. I did this
same setup (from what I can see in your image) and I'm getting instances on
the hairs but they're not deforming even in the render. Is this tree on the
simulation stack? What other nodes do you have in there? What settings for
the emit strands are you using?