I work with the University of the Arts London, mentoring final year
students that are planning to set up their own creative businesses after
graduation (a surprising number see this as the best route these days). The
students I'm working with generally come from a fine art, graphic design or
product design background and much of their exploration of 3d technologies
has been extracurricular. They're different to MA graduates from somewhere
like Bournmouth (the types of student looking for a career in CG
animation).

I've been working with *ual:* for a number of years now and I've noticed a
real shift in the adoption of Houdini over Maya. I think this bias is a the
result of SideFX's historic strategy with Houdini Apprentice, which allows
 students to explore Houdini in their own time (this is important as 3d
creativity isn't necessarily core to their course). The bigger recent
impact has come from the availability of Houdini Indie. Students often see
SideFX as the cool challenger to the Autodesk corporate behemoth. The fact
that Houdini Indie allows them to render with Redshift of Octane is a huge
benefit too. Creative exploration at home with GPU rendering is far more
productive than a reliance on Mantra. Not dissing Mantra here, it can go
toe to toe with Arnold but it's a studio grade production renderer
optimised for farm use.

The other major shift I've seen with young talent entering the creative
industries is that this is a generation that started learning the likes
Python, Unity and Arduino at high school. For them the term technical
artist is often seen as an oxymoron. They simply see themselves as artists
that are just as happy creating algorithmically generated art in Processing
as they are utilising VEX in Houdini. They see a programmatic mindset as
being an essential part of the mix. Im not saying all young art students
match this profile, but the ones that explore 3d and digital interactive
technologies most certainly do. You seldom hear the cry 'but I'm an
artists, not a programmer' from this generation of young creatives.

This is probably a different perspective to what you were directly asking,
but I really do believe Houdini is on the cusp of breaking away from the
solo mantle of being the goto VFX DCC of choice. Houdini is capable of so
much more than VFX, SideFX know this and have been actively developing a
set of tools to facilitate the UX journeys of a more generalist user and
there's a new generation of creative talent unafraid of Houdini's more
technical side. For me, Houdini's future is indeed bright.